Written by: Ceri, ZENXIN Masterchef
Known traditionally as Haldi Doodh, the Golden Milk has been featured as an Ayurvedic tonic for thousands of years.
Highly regarded, this elixir is thought to balance each dosha. The heat of the turmeric balances Vata and Kapha doshas and the pungent, bitterness balances Pitta.
The power of curcurmin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is enhanced with the addition of coconut oil and black pepper. Together they improve memory and learning and protect against Alzheimer’s and dementia. Both cinnamon and turmeric help control blood glucose levels in pre-diabetes, while cardamom is commonly used in Ayurveda to improve digestion and eliminate gas.
Rather than dairy milk, cashew milk has been used to offer a dairy-free alternative. Cashews are actually seeds harvested from the cashew apple and as such have a lower fat content than most nuts. As part of the harvesting process, cashews are steamed to remove the outer shell and urushiol which is not safe to eat and is washed away. So technically cashews are not considered raw.
Pumpkin offers natural sweetness as well as fibre and betacarotenes to improve eye health, helping prevent macular degeneration.
- Preparation: Soaking time 2-4 hrs
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Total: 2-4hrs + 20 mins
- Serves: 4-6
- 1 cup ‘Simply Natural’ raw cashew nuts, soaked
- 4 cups filtered water
- 8 organic pitted ‘Siwa’ dates
- 300g organic pumpkin, steamed
- 1 tbsp Simply Natural Organic virgin coconut oil
- 15g fresh organic turmeric root, peeled or ½ tsp Simply Natural Organic ground turmeric
- 15g fresh organic ginger root, peeled or ½ tsp Simply Natural Organic ground ginger
- ¼ tsp Simply Natural organic true cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp organic cardamom powder
- Freshly ground Simply Natural Organic black pepper
- Soak the cashew nuts covered in adequate filtered water for 2-4 hours.
- Soak the dates in the 4 cups of filtered water.
- Wash and steam the pumpkin until soft, for ~20 mins, remove pumpkin skin.
- Blend the dates with the water and strain.
- Strain the cashew nuts and add to the date water and blend together.
- Cut the turmeric and ginger roots into thin slices.
- Add pumpkin, coconut oil, fresh & dried spices to the cashew milk and blend again.
- Serve immediately with freshly ground black pepper.
Buy 3 Get Free Gift