Credits: Ceri, ZENXIN Master Chef
Spain experiences a glorious Mediterranean climate with blistering hot summers, so is it any wonder that they have tasty, cold soups to cope with the weather?
Gazpacho is better known, but Salmorejo—— a creamy tomato soup from Cordoba, Andalusia is another delicious, classic offering.
As always, the flavour of the dish depends on the quality of the ingredients, so it is important to choose really ripe tomatoes. Local Andalusian tomatoes are known for their acidity. To keep the authentic taste, a splash of sherry vinegar serves to add depth. The basic blend of tomatoes, day old rustic bread and olive oil is topped with jamón, hard boiled eggs and another drizzle of olive oil.
The rustic Campagne country loaf uses wheat flour, sourdough starter, water and salt. The sourdough starter is a mixture of wild yeasts and lactic acid bacteria. The prebiotics improve gut health and the pre-fermentation reduces phytate levels making its nutrition more bioavailable and the bread more digestible. Infusing the bread with the garlic and tomatoes give a glorious flavour which chilling further improves.
Preparation: 10 mins
Soaking time: 1 hr
Chilling time: 30 mins
Total: 1 hr 40 mins
- Boiling Filtered Water
- 1 kg soft, ripe Organic Tomatoes on the Vine
- 250g crustless, day old, Campagne Country Loaf
- 2 cloves Spanish Organic Morado Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Simply Natural French Sea Salt
- 1 cup Simply Natural Pure Olive Oil, plus more for drizzling
- Aged Sherry Vinegar to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 3 Hard-boiled Eggs, finely chopped
- 100g finely chopped jamón ibérico de bellota or jamón serrano
- Wash and score the tomatoes and pour boiling water over to remove the skin.
- Remove skin when cool enough to hold, core and remove seeds.
- Top, tail and remove skin from garlic and crush.
- Tear bread into small pieces and place it with salt, tomatoes and garlic in a bowl.
- Barely cover with boiling water and leave to soak for an hour.
- Drain mixture. Reserve soaking water by squeezing water from bread.
- Blend squeezed mixture adding reserved water as necessary until there is a fine purée.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until well combined.
- Adjust taste adding sherry vinegar and salt as necessary.
- Chill for at least 30 mins to develop flavour.
- Pour into bowls and top with chopped eggs, jamón, olive oil and black pepper.
Tip: If you want a slightly thicker soup you can add in one of the boiled eggs when blending the mixture at step 7.