ZENXIN Master Chef
Organic blackberry and apple crumble
10 mins + 30 mins
6 – 8
- 60g organic grass-fed butter
- 60g ‘Simply Natural’ organic brown sugar
- 120g ‘Simply Natural’ organic self-raising flour
- 5-6 organic Granny Smith apples
- 340g organic blackberries
- 100g ‘Simply Natural’ organic belly friendly muesli
A little more sugar for sprinkling and butter for dotting on top of the crumble
1. Blend together the butter, sugar and flour. (Thermomix 5 secs speed 5.)
2. Wash and soak the blackberries in a solution of brine.
3. Wash core and peel the apples and cut into small pieces.
4. Strain the blackberries and add them with the apples to the baking dish.
5. Pour a sprinkling of sugar over the fruit and add the crumble mixture.
6. Add the muesli and dot with tiny pieces of butter.
7. Bake in the over at 200°C for 30 mins.
8. Serve and enjoy!
Memories of Autumn afternoons scouring the hedgerows with a basket and walking stick, teasing the juicy fruit from their prickly branches without getting too many scratches…
Blackberries, (Rubus fruticosus) are an amazing berry rich in phenolics, anthocyanins and vitamin C, not to mention an excellent amount of fibre. Apart from tasting delicious, the fruit contains phytonutrients that improve digestion, memory, skin health and help support the immune system in its battle against degenerative disease.
Green apples are the classic pairing found together with blackberries in pies, tarts and crumbles. They are similarly packed with beneficial phytonutrients and a soluble fibre called pectin which acts as a prebiotic promoting the growth of good gut bacteria.
Adding a simple crumble over the fruit and baking for 30 mins gives a delicious afternoon treat.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef