ZENXIN Master Chef
Organic Stem Ginger in Syrup
10 mins + overnight freeze
1.5 60 2 hrs
Overnight plus 1 hr 40 mins to 2hrs 10 mins
6 – 8
- 650g fresh organic young ginger root
- Filtered water to cover the ginger
- 600ml reserved cooking water
- 600g ‘Simply Natural organic cane sugar
1. Peel ginger and cut into 1” pieces to freeze overnight before steeping in sugar syrup.
2. The next day cover the ginger with filtered water and simmer for 1-1.5 hrs until soft.
3. Drain and reserve the water for making the sugar syrup.
4. Take 600ml of the reserved water and add the sugar stirring gently. (Thermomix 20 mins/100°C/Speed 1).
5. Add back the cooked ginger, simmer for another 20 mins. (Thermomix 20 mins/100°C/Reverse speed 1)
6. Transfer to a sterilised jar, seal and store in a dark, cool place for up to a year.
Stem Ginger is a preserved ginger made from the young roots of Zingiber officinale the ginger plant. Preserving it in sugar syrup traditionally increases its shelf life. Look for firm, unwrinkled ginger where the skin is easily scraped away with a finger nail.
Ginger (Zingiber officinale) 生姜 Shēng jiāng is thought to have originated in S. E. Asia and while commonly used in Asian cooking, it is also used extensively in traditional medicine in the region. From a TCM perspective it is a mild, warming spice which dispels cold and supports the lung, spleen and stomach meridians.
It acts as a natural anti-inflammatory strengthening the immune system, improving acid reflux and digestion and reducing nausea, muscle pain and osteoarthritis. The active components of ginger, 6-gingerol and 6-shogaol have a cytotoxic effect on gastrointestinal cancer cells. Gingerol also helps to reduce LDL cholesterol & triglycerides & may protect against age-related brain damage.
Ginger water may be made by pouring boiling water over thinly sliced organic ginger and allowing it to steep for at least 10 mins. Lemon juice and/or honey may be added and fresh mint leaves. This mixture helps to relieve nausea including that experienced as morning sickness during pregnancy. Drinking a glass of this ginger water on a daily basis can help strengthen the digestive system and prevent indigestion, nausea, and heartburn.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef