Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
The ZENXIN Halloween 2009 Bat Balls is a treat we made for our younger guests at our first ever ZENXIN Halloween celebration in 2009. All along, we have always worked at sharing healthy treats and this is no exception.
Walnuts are chock full of heart healthy omega-3 fat in the form of alpha-linolenic acid. They contain the antioxidants catechin and ellagic acid which reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer plus melatonin, a hormone involved in the sleep cycle. Melatonin is produced by the pineal gland and its production declines with age, so adding walnuts to your diet as you age is very helpful.
Cultivated in the fertile crescent since 4,000 BC, dates have since been brought to the Americas. Considered holy by both Jewish and Islamic religions, dates are used by the latter for breaking fast during Ramadan. Dates are very effective for this purpose as they contain glucose, fructose and sucrose to restore energy levels while the fibre keeps blood sugar in balance. They also contain essential potassium, carotenoids and no cholesterol.
Environmental Working Group’s toxicologist Thomas Galligan, Ph.D. recently remarked that “Raisins are one of the dirtiest produce commodities on the market…”
Unlike conventionally produced raisins, organic raisins are not fumigated with toxic gases to control pests during storage. This recipe features red seedless Jumbo raisins for their delicious flavour.
- Preparation: 5 mins
- Processing time: 10 mins
- Total: 15 mins
- Serves: 20 pieces
- ½ cup Simply Natural Premium Walnuts
- ½ cup Simply Natural Organic ‘Siwa’ Dates
- ½ cup Simply Natural Organic Red Seedless Jumbo Raisins
- As walnuts are considered an oily nut, they require no soaking before use.
- Place all three ingredients in the processor or Thermomix and blend.
- For Thermomix, blend on speed 5 for about 30 secs, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Remove dough from the machine, take a teaspoonful and roll into small balls.
- Chill for use later or serve immediately.
Tip: If the dates are too dry, soak in warm water for 30 minutes and then drain.