Spelt, an ancient grain, is easier to digest than modern day wheat and has been used here to create an even healthier version of these traditional Christmas treats. Spelt is rich in prebiotics, vitamins and micronutrients, and is anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant and is very supportive of the immune system.
Traditional Christmas spices cinnamon and ginger have been used with the addition of Chinese 5-spice and fresh Peruvian ginger to add a special touch. For sweeteners coconut sugar has been used in combination with organic sugar beet syrup.
Sugar beet syrup is made from the juice of freshly harvested Dutch sugar beet which is carefully concentrated during the cooking process. It is largely sucrose so should only be used as a condiment like salt, a little to enhance the flavour. Being a certified organic product, the beets are not genetically modified or irradiated, and the syrup of course contains no additives.
Use of the syrup rather than honey makes this recipe suitable for Vegans.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Chilling time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 380 g organic spelt flour from ‘Simply Natural’ Organic Spelt Flakes
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp ‘Simply Natural’ Organic Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 1 tsp ‘Simply Natural’ Organic Ground Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp ‘Simply Natural’ Organic Ginger Powder
- A pinch of ‘Simply Natural’ French Sea Salt
- 250 g organic unsalted grass fed butter
- 80 g ‘Simply Natural’ Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1 tbsp ‘Simply Natural’ Organic Beet Sugar Sweetener
- 1tbsp freshly grated organic Peruvian ginger
- Grind spelt flakes to make the spelt flour. (TX 1 min, speed 10)
- Cream the butter, sugar, syrup & freshly grated ginger together. (TX 40 secs, speed 4)
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Mix together spelt flour, baking powder, Chinese 5-spice, cinnamon, ginger & salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into wet and mix together thoroughly. (TX 40 secs, speed 4)
- Turn the dough onto a piece of baking paper, flatten & wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hrs.
- Preheat conventional oven to 180°C (160°C if with fan).
- Remove dough from fridge and roll between 2 sheets of baking paper to ½ cm thick.
- Using the gingerbread cookie cutter, quickly cut out the shapes.
- Then place on a baking tray & bake for ~20 mins until golden brown.
- Remove the shapes from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Decorate with icing sugar or serve plain.
Only 10 left in stock