Sago is a common gluten-free staple in S. E. Asia and is produced from the pith of the Metroxylon sagu palm. It is high in tannins and flavonoids that function as antioxidants and resistant starch which is not broken down by digestion, but serves to feed gut bacteria in the colon and is considered a prebiotic. It has been shown to increase short chain fatty acids in the gut, reduce insulin resistance and inflammation.
The minimal processing of coconut nectar sugar means that it retains minerals, polyphenolic antioxidants and inulin from the coconut palm. It is this inulin which may slow glucose absorption resulting in coconut nectar sugar having a lower GI than cane sugar.
Our Australian organic sultanas are deliciously sweet, high in fibre, potassium and polyphenol antioxidants. They also add valuable micronutrients to the dish.
Print the recipe: Simple Sweetened Sago with Sultanas
Preparation: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Standing time: 30 mins
Total: 50 mins
- 150g Simply Natural organic sago
- 1.5 litres filtered water
- 70g Simply Natural organic coconut nectar sugar
- 70g Simply Natural organic sultanas
- 115g coconut milk
- Add water to Thermomix bowl and bring to the boil.
- As soon as the water is boiling add the sago, this cooks the outer layer and seals the
- Boil for 15 mins then add in the coconut nectar sugar and sultanas and leave to stand
for 30 mins. This allows the the sweetness of coconut sugar and sultanas to be absorbed
and the sago pearls to cook all the way through.
- Drain the sago and sultanas in the simmering basket, portion into the serving dishes
and drizzle over the fresh coconut milk.
- Serve and enjoy!