Memories of my mother’s shortbread brings you this re-created organic sweet treat.
Designed to complement our wonderful range of Simply Natural organic teas and tisanes,
it makes a delicious accompaniment to any ‘Afternoon Tea’
The key to any ‘Simple’ recipe is to use the best ingredients you can find. Using hands here rather than a machine allows greater precision and control. You learn to ‘feel’ when the dough is neither under nor overworked. True shortbread is delightfully crumbly, so don’t overwork the dough or it will become tough.
Making it in the tropics needs a little more care and attention as the heat causes the biscuits to spread and lose their shape, so use cold butter and chill the dough before baking. Mum’s cold hands also helped the quality of her shortbread!
Print the recipe: Simple Shortbread
- Preparation: 15 mins
- Chilling time: 30 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Total: 1hr 5 mins
- Serving size: 4-5
- 200g plain organic flour
- 50g organic brown caster sugar
- 125g organic unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp organic cornflour
- A pinch of French sea salt
- 1 tbsp water or enough to bind as necessary
- Sift the flours then add the salt and sugar and mix well.
- Cut the cold butter into small pieces into the flour.
- Rub the butter into the flour by hand until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- The mixture will start to clump together.
- Add the water and gently gather it into a ball.
- Roll out the dough between two silicon baking sheets.
- Chill for 30 mins.
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C.
- Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Take the chilled dough and shape or cut into shapes as desired.
- Carefully place the shapes on the baking sheet.
- Prick with a fork to prevent spreading, then sprinkle with a little more caster sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 mins.
- Remove, allow to cool and place on a cooling rack. Enjoy!