Selamat Hari Raya to all our Muslim friends & families!
We’re celebrating with a healthy and delicious platter of Gluten-free Ketupat, Tofu Satay and Satay Peanut Sauce. Our unique Ketupat is made with Multigrain rice, rich in fibre and B vitamins!
Print recipe here: Multigrain Ketupat, Tofu Satay & Satay Peanut Sauce
- Preparation time: 6 hours + 15 mins
- Cooking Time: 2 hours + 30 minutes + 30 minutes
- Total: 9 hours 15 minutes
- 1 cup Natural Brown Rice
- 3 cups of filtered water
- A pinch of Himalayan Rock Salt
- 4 pieces Firm Tofu
- 3 tbsp Simply Natural High Oleic Sunflower Oil
- 4 stalks Organic Lemongrass, white parts only
- 6 cloves Organic Morado Garlic
- 2 whole Organic Red Onion
- 2 tsp Organic Lakadong Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Organic Coriander
- 1 tsp Himalayan Rock Salt
- 2 Organic Japanese Cucumbers, chopped
- 2 Organic Red Onions, chopped
(Satay Peanut Sauce)
- 2 cups Organic Raw Peanut Kernels
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp Organic Coconut Nectar Sugar
- 1 pinch Himalayan Rock Salt
- 1 tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1.5 cup of filtered water
- 1 tsp Organic Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Organic Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Organic Coriander
- 3 cloves Organic Morado Garlic
- 2 Organic Red Onions
- 2 stalks Organic Lemongrass, white parts only
- 1 thumbsized Organic Ginger
- Cook rice in a rice cooker or pot until soft
- Once the rice is cooked, transfer the cooked rice into a deep tray. Using a spatula, press firmly to ensure the rice is compressed. Cover with cling wrap and continue to press until rice is flat and compact.
- Using cardboard, measure the size of the tray and trace accordingly. Cut the cardboard and line it on top of the rice. Press firmly.
- Transfer the tray into the fridge and stack heavy objects (eg.food jars, canned food, water bottles etc) on top of the cardboard; ensuring the weight is evenly distributed. Leave the rice to compress overnight in the fridge.
- The next day, remove the cardboard and cling wrap. The rice should be compact by now. Using a knife, run through the edges of the tray to allow space between the rice and the tray. Using a flat surface (eg.chopping board), cover the tray and flip over to release your rice.
- Cut the rice into 2-inch cubes to serve. Serve with peanut sauce, tofu satay, cucumbers & onions. Enjoy!
- Press tofu and wipe dry. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- Add a cup of water and all the marinade ingredients in a blender. Blend until it forms a smooth paste.
- Marinade the tofu overnight, or a least for 6 hours.
- Thread the tofu cubes onto the bamboo skewers and grill for 2-3 minutes. Flip the skewers to ensure all sides are golden brown. Brush with oil while grilling. Alternatively, you may pan-fry the tofu cubes,
- Once done, serve peanut sauce and freshly chopped cucumbers and onions.
(Satay Peanut Sauce)
- In a frying pan, toast the peanuts until dark brown and fragrant. Allow to cool and remove the skin. Once cooled, crush the peanuts using a mortar and pestle and set aside.
- Next, add the spice paste ingredients into a blender. Add 1/2 cup of water and blend until you achieve a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl.
- On low heat, add coconut oil and the blended paste in a saucepan and stir fry until fragrant and the paste turns into a dark brown colour.
- Next, add in peanuts and the other remaining ingredients. Stir thoroughly. Simmer the sauce on low heat and continue stirring for about 10 minutes until the sauce is creamy and fragrant. Add in more water depending on the desired consistency.
- Once done, serve with tofu satay, multigrains ketupat and chopped vegetables. Enjoy!