Native to maritime South-East Asia, West Indian lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) contains the aromatic terpenes geranial, neral, myrcene, and limonene which have antimicrobial, antiseptic and calmative healing effects. Myrcene is also analgesic.
Lemongrass is packed with inflammation fighting antioxidants, vitamin C, chlorogenic acid, isoorientin and swetiajaponin which help strengthen immunity to colds and flu. In fact lemongrass extract is a fantastic inhibitor of bacterial growth!
Warm in nature in TCM, Lemongrass (Xiāng máo香茅) has an affinity for the gallbladder, stomach and lung meridians and may be used in formulas for those with too much cold. It promotes Qi circulation and helps with muscle cramps.
In Ayurveda it is considered a light, dry herb which pacifies the Kapha dosha. It has an affinity for the respiratory, digestive and eliminatory systems of the body helping the removal of toxins from the body and relieving PMS cramps and fluid retention.
Boiled with cloves, turmeric, tulsi or cardamon in India, it boosts the formation of red blood cells and breaks up mucus experienced in colds or flu. We added ginger, but it is often made with pandan in South-East Asia and served hot or cold. Sip on this fantastic fragrant beverage and reduce your stress levels!
Credit: Ceri, Zenxin Master Chef
Print the recipe:Organic Lemongrass Tea Thermomix version
Preparation: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total: 20 mins
Serves: 6 – 8
- 1 litre filtered water
- 8 stems of organic lemongrass
- 40g organic ginger
- Wash and scrape the skin off the ginger.
- Chop the ginger into slices and place in the Thermomix bowl.
- Add 1litre of filtered water.
- Wash, top and tail the lemongrass, bash to release flavour, chop and add.
- Select 15 mins, 100°C, speed 1 and start cooking.
- Strain when cooking completed.
- Garnish with a stem of lemongrass and a slice of organic lemon or lime.
- Fresh lime or lemon juice may be added or a spoonful of organic raw honey.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂
N.B. This can also be made in a stainless steel saucepan.