Recipe, ZENXIN Master Chef
Gluten-free Chickpea Fusilli with coconut, turmeric & chickpeas
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
‘Simply Natural’ chickpea fusilli pasta is naturally gluten-free and the combination of rice and chickpea flour offers all nine essential amino acids, making it an excellent vegan/vegetarian dish. The topping of pre-cooked chickpeas in combination with the allium family, kale and turmeric offer a nutrient dense meal.
Legume fibre has been highlighted as beneficial for the gut micro-biome which is the foundation of health. This fibre also helps in stabilising blood sugar, thus improving diabetes type-2 as well as helping the elimination of excess cholesterol from the blood.
Turmeric adds a rich yellow to the dish as well as valuable healing properties. It contains the powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidant cucurmin which protects healthy cells from carcinogens and assists the body in destroying mutated cells before they spread. It also helps lower cholesterol and helps prevent heart disease.
Lastly, the allium family with their wide array of health giving sulphur compounds offer cardiovascular protection, helping to lower cholesterol and triglycerides, lowering blood pressure and reducing the risks of clots. Onion and garlic also contain the flavonoid quercetin which reduces inflammation, blood pressure and blood sugar levels and supports the immune system.
- Preparation: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Total: 20 mins
- Serves: 4-6
- 1 packet Organic Local Kale
- 6 cloves of Organic Morado Garlic, finely sliced
- 1 large Organic Brown Onion, finely chopped
- 2” grated Organic Ginger
- 30 g ‘Simply Natural’ Spanish Organic Extra-virgin Cold-pressed Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon ‘Simply Natural’ Turmeric Powder
- ½ tablespoon ‘Simply Natural’ Curry Powder
- 1 cup Cooked ‘Simply Natural’ Organic Garbanzos
- 250 ml Organic Chickpea Stock
- 500g ‘Simply Natural’ Gluten-free Chickpea Fusilli
- A pinch of ‘Simply Natural’ French Sea Salt
- A sprinkling of ‘Simply Natural’ Red Chili Flakes
- Wash a de-rib the kale, tearing into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Peel and slice the garlic and onions, peel and grate the ginger.
- Stir-fry these with olive oil until fragrant, then add the spices and combine well.
- Add in the cooked chickpeas, kale and stock and continue to cook until tender.
- Lastly add in the coconut milk and allow everything to infuse together.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Cook the fusili in boiling water, 8-10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and portion into bowls, topping with the chickpea mixture.
- Garnish with a little more coconut milk and fresh herbs and enjoy!