This is a delicate, lightly salted raw salad in the Japanese ‘Tsukemono’ style and as such retains both fibre and enzymes beneficial for gastrointestinal health.
Enzymes in food are deactivated over 48°C, so it is beneficial for digestion to include some raw food in the diet. Tsukemono offer this advantage and also retain B and C vitamins that are daily required dietary constituents.
Cooking vegetables at high temperatures, for example boiling vegetables, may reduce their content of water soluble vitamins by up to 50%.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
Print the recipe: Pickled Rainbow Salad
Preparation: 20 mins
Standing time: 20 mins
Total: 40 mins
- 1 head of organic Chinese cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 organic red cabbage leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 piece of organic pumpkin, peeled and grated
- 1 medium organic Thai carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 small organic daikon radish, peeled and grated
- 2 organic Japanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2” piece of organic, fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Himalayan rock salt
- Wash all the vegetables and process as described above.
- Place all the sliced and grated vegetables into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the salt over the vegetables and massage them gently.
- Weight the mixture and leave for 15 mins.
- Squeeze out the water carefully and reserve the vegetables.
- Serve to accompany cooked food, beneficial with oily meat and fish.
Only 20 left in stock
Only 29 left in stock
Only 9 left in stock
Only 8 left in stock
Only 3 left in stock
Only 4 left in stock