Written by: Ceri, ZENXIN Masterchef
Here is a bowl of goodness combining the wonders of oats and quinoa, cooked with cinnamon and pineapple to support you through the day.
The addition of rich Peruvian mixed quinoa to our healthy Finnish oats is a match made in heaven.
Quinoa is a complete plant protein with all nine essential amino acids and omega-3. Together with oats, excellent fibre is available in this breakfast delight to improve digestion and gut motility. Oat avenanthramides also help increase production of nitric acid to reduce blood pressure, improve blood flow and bromelain from pineapple help reduce inflammation.
Lastly, cinnamon helps lower blood sugar levels, reduces heart disease risk factors and contains antimicrobial cinnamaldehyde.
Peruvians have long started their day with a mug of thin, superfood porridge normally made of quinoa or amaranth, but with the arrival of the Spanish, oats have become a popular choice.
In Lima, this breakfast drink may be served hot or cold depending on the weather.
Preparation: Overnight + 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total: Overnight + 15 minutes
- ½ cup Simply Natural Finnish rolled oats
- ½ cup Simply Natural Organic mixed quinoa
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 thick slices of organic pineapple
- 1 more cup of filtered water
- 2 sticks Simply Natural Organic cinnamon
- A handful of pumpkin seeds
- A drizzle of Simply Natural Acacia honey to taste
- Measure out ½ cup of Finnish rolled oats and ½ cup of quinoa into a bowl and add 1 cup filtered water.
- Leave to soak overnight. In the morning, drain completely.
- Add 1 cup of filtered water to the Thermomix bowl or saucepan.
- Add cinnamon, bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 10 mins.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Blend ingredients together adjusting thickness as required.
- Remove the skin and core and chop the pineapple into fine smaller pieces, add to the mixture.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of honey and pumpkin seeds for added texture.
Add fresh pineapple juice to make a thinner drink.