Rucola (Eruca vesicaria), also known as ‘arugula’ and ‘rocket’, has been a star in Mediterranean diets at least since Roman times and its peppery flavour adds punch to any leafy salad. Whether as fresh pizza topping, pasta sauce or omelette filler it is guaranteed to lift any dish.
Like all members of the Brassica (Cabbage) family, rucola leaves contain gucosinolates which during digestion are converted to anti inflammatory,anti-carcinogenic isothiocyanates. Rucola is nutrient dense with minerals such as potassium and calcium, vitamins A, B, C and K and contains large quantities of the beneficial phytonutrients sulforaphane and erucin.
Combined with protective olive oil, savoury shiitake, onion and fermented black bean sauce this makes a delicious fusion dish with amazing health benefits!
Print the recipe: Organic Rucola Salad with Stir
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total: 20 mins
Serves: 6 – 8
- 1 pkt organic rucola
- 1 small organic onion
- 1 pkt fresh organic shiitake mushrooms
- 1 pkt Simply Natural raw pine nuts
- 20g Simply Natural Spanish organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Simply Natural fermented black bean sauce Light
- Wash and spin-dry the ruccola leaves, set aside.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Trim the stems and slice the shiitake mushrooms.
- Toast the pine nuts gently until golden brown.
- Stir-fry the onions in olive oil until glassy.
- Add in the shiitake mushrooms and fermented black bean sauce and continue frying.
- Allow to cool a little, then toss with the ruccola.
- Serve immediately.