Orange and Fennel Chickpea Salad
Fennel has an interesting liquorice-like flavour which combines well raw with citrus fruit, chickpeas and onions.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
Print the recipe! Orange and Fennel Chickpea Salad
Preparation time: Soaking time-overnight + 10 mins
Cooking time:1.5 hrs
Total: Overnight + 1.5 hrs
Serves: 6-8 people
- 250g organic Garbanzos (chickpeas)
- 1 tsp Himalayan rock salt
- 1 litre filtered water
- 100g finely diced organic red onion
- 3 tbsp organic cider vinegar
- 100g finely diced organic fennel bulb
- The pulp and juice of the 2 organic oranges
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- A pinch of supreme chilli (~1/8th tsp)
- A pinch of Himalayan rock salt
- A drizzle of organic cold-pressed Spanish olive oil
- Soak the chickpeas overnight and in the morning pour away the water.
- Steam over filtered water with 1 tsp Himalayan rock salt for 1 hr.(Thermomix basket 1hr, 100°C, Speed 1)
- Finely dice the red onion and add to the cider vinegar to reduce sharpness.
- Finely dice the fennel and set aside.
- Take the oranges and separate the pulp from the skin while collecting the juice.
- Add the chilli flakes to the juice.
- While the chickpeas are still hot, pour over the chilli flake/orange juice mixture.
- Toss together the pinch of salt and chilli, vinegared onions, fennel, orange pulp and juice with the chickpeas. This salad can be served immediately or chilled for later.
Our new Western boxes contain a variety of vegetables that are less common locally. One of these is the fennel bulb.
Fennel has an interesting liquorice-like flavour which combines well raw with citrus fruit as you can see in the chickpea salad below.
It originated in the Mediterranean and you will find it in healthy Greek and Italian dishes where it is well known for helping with digestion of rich foods.
Combined here with chickpeas and onions it is a great addition for improving skin and bone health and cardiovascular health. As the fennel is served raw, the high vitamin C content has not been destroyed by processing.
Only 8 left in stock