This is a thicker version of our millet porridge that will make a hearty filling meal ideal for anyone undertaking physical labour.
Known as a gut healing food in Ayurveda and TCM, millet alkalise the body, is low in allergens and rich in fibre, calcium and B vitamins. The fibre content releases glucose slowly making it suitable for those who suffer from diabetes type-2, obesity, constipation and bowel disorders.
The addition ‘umami’ flavoured garlic chestnut mushrooms add more B vitamins and allicin to support the immune system. This nutrient rich combination protects the digestive the system, calms the nervous system and helps maintain healthy bones and teeth.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
Print recipe here: Millet Porridge with Garlic Chestnut Mushrooms
- Preparation: Overnight soak + 5 mins
- Cooking time: 40 mins
- Total: 45 mins
- Serves: 1-2
- ½ cup (~80g) organic hulled millet
- 2 cups (~400g) filtered water
- 3 cloves of organic morado garlic
- 1 pkt organic chestnut mushrooms
- 20g Simply Natural Spanish organic cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Simply Natural organic fermented black bean sauce (Light) (Fāxiào hēidòu jiàng 发酵黑豆酱)
- Rinse the millet and soak overnight.
- In the morning drain off the excess liquid through a fine sieve.
- Measure the filtered water into the Thermomix bowl, followed by the millet.
- Cook for 40 mins temp 98°C speed 1 reverse.
- Peel the garlic and chop into slices
- Clean the mushrooms with a clean, damp cloth or tissue.
- Cut off and discard the bottom of each stem, then slice the mushrooms.
- Stir fry garlic and mushrooms in olive oil until fragrant and light brown.
- Add the fermented black bean sauce to taste.
- Pour out the porridge, top with the mushroom mixture and enjoy!