Written by: Ceri, ZENXIN Masterchef
How would Nasi Ulam taste if it were born in the West?
Try this recipe to find out.
Fresh herbs such as mint, flat-leaved parsley and sweet basil, with their powerful antioxidants, are the unsung heroes of this dish.
The recipe features buckwheat, a gluten-free whole grain that is fibre rich, mineral rich and packed full of useful polyphenols. It is the richest source of D-chiro-inositol, a unique soluble carbohydrate which is beneficial in diabetes management.
Buckwheat has a high rutin content, a bioflavonoid known to strengthen and increase blood vessel flexibility, improving both varicose veins and haemorrhoids. It helps reduce inflammation, blood pressure and blood lipid profile and has an overall protective effect for the internal organs. It is beneficial both in helping to repair wounds and skin damage, being involved in collagen production and use of vitamin C.
The interesting thing about this grain is also that it cooks fairly quickly and remains fluffy if you steam it rather than boil it. Best eaten when soaked overnight, sprouted or fermented.
Avocado and olive oil are both known as healthy fats beneficial to the cardiovascular system with their monounsaturated fatty acids. Combined with lemon’s vitamin C and the fresh herbs, this bowl offers a wealth of protective nutrients commonly found in the Mediterranean diet.
- Preparation: Overnight + 5 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Total: Overnight + 25 mins
- Serves: 2-4
- 1 cup Simply Natural Organic buckwheat
- 1 ripe ZENXIN Organic avocado
- Juice of 1 ZENXIN Organic lemon
- 3 tbsp Simply Natural Organic Spanish cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- A handful of ZENXIN Organic fresh mint
- A handful of ZENXIN Organic fresh flat-leaved parsley
- A handful of ZENXIN Organic fresh sweet basil
- A pinch of Simply Natural French sea salt
- Rinse the buckwheat and soak overnight, covered well with filtered water.
- Wash the fresh herbs and tear the leaves into small bite size pieces.
- Drain the buckwheat and steam for at least 20 mins, fluff up and mix evenly.
- Peel and de-stone the avocado leaving a few slices to garnish.
- Take the rest of the avocado and mash into a smooth paste.
- Add in the lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
- Pour in the olive oil in a thin stream and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the avocado cream to the fluffed up buckwheat, then add in the herbs.
- Season, plate, garnish and serve immediately.
Tip: Tearing rather than cutting the herbs improves the overall appearance of the dish.