Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
Do you remember the nuts & sweet dried fruit in Kashmiri naan? Here we have added that mixture to our organic white couscous. You can make this in a scant 15 mins. Pour over boiling water, wait 15 mins for it to rehydrate. While waiting, prepare the tasty Kashmiri style ingredients. More simple, organic fast food to add to your healthy lifestyle!
The delicious mixture of fruit and nuts adds to the fibre content of the dish as well as contributing polyphenol antioxidants to decrease oxidative damage, improve digestive health and improve overall health. Onions and apples contain the flavonoid quercetin, a potent anti-inflammatory, which reduces the risk of cardiovascular problems.
Pomegranate arils are the jewels to decorate the mixture, eat them with the seeds for their added fibre and high polyphenol content. This includes flavonoids, tannins, lignans & vitamin E. The seeds also contain 12-20% punicic acid a polyunsaturated fatty acid thought to reduce inflammation, improve insulin sensitivity and promote weight loss.
- Preparation: 10 mins
- Rehydration/cooking time: 15 mins
- Total: 25 mins
- Serves: 4-6
- 1 cup Simply Natural Organic White Couscous
- A pinch of Saffron
- 20g Organic Ghee
- 1 small Organic Onion
- 1 tablespoon Masala Chaat Powder
- 1 Red Organic Apple
- Juice of an Organic Lemon
- ½ cup Fresh Pomegranate Seeds
- 4 Simply Natural Organic Seedless Whole Figs, snipped small
- 1/3 cup Simply Natural Raw Cashews, toasted & chopped
- 1/3 cup Simply Natural Organic Seedless Jumbo Red Raisins, snipped small
- 1/3 cup Simply Natural Organic White Mulberries, snipped small
- Take a pinch of saffron and sprinkle it over the cup of couscous in a large bowl.
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over the couscous and mix quickly with a fork.
- Cover with a cloth during the rehydration ~15 mins.
- Top, tail and remove skin from onion and slice into rings.
- Stir-fry the onions in the ghee with a little masala chaat until soft and caramelised.
- Wash & core the apple, chop into small pieces and coat with the lemon juice.
- Fluff up the rehydrated couscous.
- Add in the onions, nuts, fresh & dried fruit, carefully combining everything.
- Serve and enjoy!