Agriculture in Finland is one of the northernmost in the world and the crops grown benefit from the clean arctic air, water and soil making them purest in Europe. The harsh winters kill off pests, so pesticides are not necessary. Oats thrive in cool, moist weather and these luminous Finnish oats take advantage of the midnight sun and short summers.
Finnish oats with wild forest berries are the basic ingredients for the traditional Finnish breakfast. Here we are making it with water to keep it dairy-free for the lactose intolerant and also soaking it overnight to improve digestibility. For those that need a warm breakfast as the Finns do especially in Winter, we are cooking it for a short time to get the perfect structure and unique, soft Finnish flavour.
Let our warm, heart healthy Finnish oats lend their fibre and beta-glucan to help balance your gut microbiome and cleanse your cardiovascular system of unnecessary cholesterol.
Add a couple of spoonfuls of fresh or cooked berries or a little butter, honey and ground flaxseeds for a truly traditional Finnish treat.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
Print the recipe: Finnish Overnight Oat Porridge
- Preparation: Overnight + 5 mins
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Total: Overnight + 15 mins
- Serves: 2-4
- 1 cup Simply Natural Finnish rolled oats
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 more cup of filtered water
- 1 tbsp freshly ground flaxseeds
- A knob of organic butter
- A sprinkling of soft organic brown sugar OR
- A handful of fresh organic berries or organic fruit compote of your choice
- Measure out 1 cup of muesli into a bowl and add 1 cup filtered water.
- Leave to soak overnight, in the morning drain completely.
- Add with 1 more cup of filtered water to the Thermomix bowl or saucepan
- Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 10 mins.
- Top with butter, sugar & the freshly ground flax seeds.
- Or add fresh organic berries/compote and serve immediately.