sauce (Fāxiào hēidòu jiàng 发 酵 黑 豆 酱). If you would like to add Chinese herbs, both Chinese yam (Shan Yao山 藥) or Poria (Fu ling茯 苓) would enhance it even further.
Credit: Ceri, Zenxin Master Chef
Print recipe here: Chickpea congee (Yīng zuǐ dòu zhōu 鹰 嘴 豆 粥)
- Preparation: Overnight soak for rice and mushrooms + 5 mins
- Cooking time: 40 mins
- Total: 45 mins
- Serves: 6-8
- 1 cup soaked organic brown rice (~300g)
- 6 tbsp ‘Simply Natural’ fermented black bean sauce (light)
- 1 tbsp organic coconut nectar sugar
- 100g organic shiitake mushrooms
- 100g cooked organic chickpeas
- ~1litre organic chickpea stock
Poria (Fu ling茯 苓) or (Shan Yao山 藥) if desired.
- Season ‘Simply Natural’ fermented black bean sauce (thick) as desired
- Rinse the rice in a sieve and soak overnight to break down the phytic acid.
This allows better uptake of minerals in the digestive tract.
- Mix together the sugar and the light black bean sauce.
- Wash the dried shiitake mushrooms and soak in the sauce overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning drain off the excess liquid from the rice and rinse again.
- Slice up the shiitake mushrooms, discarding the stalks.
- Place the soaked rice, chickpeas, sliced shiitake and Chinese herbs in the Thermomix.
- Top up with the chickpea stock to between 1 to 1.5 litres.
- Start cooking with timer on 40 mins, temperature to 98°C and speed 1 on reverse.
- Serve and enjoy!
N.B. This is also made easily in the rice cooker using the porridge setting.
Only 34 left in stock