This recipe can be made either by soaking the ‘Simply Natural’ dried black-eyed peas overnight then cooking them and using the broth for the soup or by using a BPA-free can of la Bio Idea Fagioli dell’occhio (organic black-eyed beans) with 6 cups of homemade vegetable broth.
Black-eyed beans are beloved in many regions of the world. Found in many dishes in healthy Mediterranean cuisine like this Italian soup, they are thought to have originated in North Africa. Part of Southern US cuisine due to the importation of slaves from Africa, folks there believe that eating black-eyed beans on New Year’s Day will bring good luck and prosperity!
Incorporating this dish into your diet will certainly bring you good health, as it is packed full of heart-healthy ingredients. One cup of black-eyed beans has 89% RDA of Folic acid (B9) needed for cognitive and emotional health. B9 helps to regulate the amount of homocysteine, an amino acid linked to a potential risks of blood clots so helps protect against both heart attack and stroke.
Fibre from the vegetables, beans, & olives and polyphenols from the olive oil also protect the heart, working to remove excess cholesterol and preventing cell damage. Add in fresh parsley and that includes a flavanol called myricetin, which improves insulin resistance problems, reduces risk of diabetes type-2 and protects against cancer.
So try out the recipe and improve your health luck!
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
- Preparation: Overnight soak and/or 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Total: Overnight and/or 30 mins
- Serves: 4-6
- 20g ‘Simply Natural’ Spanish organic cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves Spanish morado garlic
- 1 organic carrot
- 1 organic leek
- Rubbed leaves from 1 sprig of fresh organic thyme
- 1 tsp ‘Simply Natural’ French sea salt
- Freshly ground ‘Simply Natural’ black pepper to taste
- 2 cups freshly cooked black-eyed beans
- 6 cups of the black-eyed bean broth
- 1 400g can ‘la Bio Idea’ organic black-eyed beans
- 6 cups homemade organic vegetable stock
- 1 tbs Spanish organic cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove Spanish morado garlic
- 1¼ cup ‘la Bio Idea’ Olive Verdi (organic pitted green olives)
- ½ cup lightly packed organic Italian parsley leaves
- 1 tsp ‘la Bio Idea’ Capperi (organic capers)
- Top and tail the garlic and remove skin, use garlic press or chop finely.
- Cut the leek lengthways and rinse thoroughly to remove soil. Chop into half rings.
- Wash, top & tail carrot and cut into small cubes.
- Rinse the thyme and pat dry, removing leaves from twig.
- Choose a suitable soup pot or Thermomix, pour in the oil and stir-fry the garlic.
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add the leek, carrot & thyme and stir until tender. (~4 mins)
- Add in the chosen beans and broth and bring mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Cook until the vegetables are very tender & the the flavours are harmonised. (~15mins) 9. Add in the salt and pepper to taste, and remove from the heat.
(The pesto may be made while the soup is simmering.)
- Add oil, olives, parsley, garlic & capers and oil together in a blender or use a hand blender and pulse together until well mixed but still chunky.
- Serve soup topped with a generous dollop of the olive pesto.