Written by: Ceri, ZENXIN Masterchef
And so they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Even better if they are organic apples. Organic apples are full of beneficial antioxidants such as quercetin which helps lower the risk of several chronic diseases. They also contain pectin, a soluble fibre which acts as a prebiotic to improve gut health by inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria.
For this particular recipe, we have specially chosen Granny Smith apples as they are not only lower in sugar, but also higher in pectin than other apples.
Goji or wolfberries are native to Asia and contain sesquiterpenoids which increase the human growth hormone (HGH) secreted by the pituitary gland, hence their anti-ageing connection. They contain a wealth of other phytochemicals including 5 carotenoids, known to improve eye health. Traditionally used In TCM, goji support kidney, liver and lung health, and are a great addition to boost the whole immune system.
Separately, chia seeds are a South American superfood which take on at least 9 times their own weight in water, so prepare them 20 minutes ahead to hydrate them before use. Chia adds to the protein content of the smoothie with all nine essential amino acids and contributes heart-healthy omega-3. With their additional fibre plus pectin from apples, this smoothie gives a longer feeling of fullness.
Kefir is milk fermented with beneficial yeasts and bacteria which are able to colonise the the gut, stabilizing the microbiome. Kefiran and lactobacillus kefiri have been found to inhibit the growth of E. Coli, Salmonella and Helicobacter pylori.
Organic raw acacia honey is a mild tasting honey which acts as an antimicrobial agent, helping to purify the liver and easing bronchial asthma and other respiratory diseases.
- Preparation: Soaking time 20mins + 5 mins
- Total: 25 mins
- Serves: 2-4
- 1 tbsp Simply Natural Organic chia seeds
- 1 tbsp Simply Natural Organic goji berries
- Juice of 1 ZENXIN Organic lemon
- 3 ZENXIN Organic Granny Smith apples
- 2 tbsp Simply Natural Organic raw acacia honey
- Top up with filtered water to the 1 litre mark (~1 cup)
- 1 cup organic kefir
- Soak the chia seeds and the goji berries separately in filtered water for at least 20 mins.
- Squeeze the juice from the organic lemon.
- Wash, quarter and core the organic apples and place in the blender.
- Add the lemon juice to slow down oxidation. Add the kefir, soaked chia, goji berries and honey.
- Top up with filtered water.
- Blend on the Whole Juice setting and serve immediately.
Tip: Consume immediately to receive full benefits of this drink.
N.B. For those who are intolerant of nightshades, Goji berries are a member of this family.
Only 2 left in stock
Only 10 left in stock